Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Wacky Wednesday

As the day comes to an end, I look back and think, Where was my sanity? I had no patience with these kiddos all day! Wednesdays are hard for me. Although I only have 5 classes, Tuesdays are brutally long and leave me feeling like I have nothing left to give by Wednesday. On top of it being Wednesday, I had my first kiln fail today... half of a 1st grade class's pinch pots exploded. I'm resolving to have a better attitude next Wednesday!



Moving on... I wanted to share a few things I've done around my classroom to help me stay organized and sane, especially on days like today. :)



Small chairs on carpet for the little ones. I know this seems like a no-brainer, but when I started out the year I just had students sit on the carpet at the beginning of class. With many sensory issues, this did not work out as planned. Hitting and screaming ensued, so our Pre-K director suggested chairs so that everyone has their own personal space. A life saver!


As any art teacher knows, remembering to tell every class everything is a challenge. I made an announcement spot on the board, and told them to check it every day when they enter the classroom. I think it's helping... although not many students have brought back portfolios.

**Do you use portfolios? I'm thinking about abandoning the idea...**



A bulletin board dedicated to color... I use this A LOT. Color is such a fundamental part of art, so it always comes up in conversation. Having this board helps so much!


Smartest thing I've done all year. This job chart corresponds to the numbers at each student's place on every table (1,2,3,4). I rotate the numbers every week, so students get really excited when it's their turn to be the Table Wiper!

Well folks, that's all I have for today. Hope your Wednesday was better than mine!

Mrs. E

No comments:

Post a Comment