Monday, February 3, 2014

4 Ways to Document Your Child's Artwork... Before You Think About Throwing it Away!

Hello!

Today I heard the words every art teacher hates to hear: "My mom throws away all my artwork." I cringed as the sad little kindergartner revealed the news. It is hurtful that we, as art teachers, spend our days, weeks, months, years teaching these kids how to create beautiful artworks and developing their creative skills... and their parents' response is to throw it away. Even more sad is how hurt it makes the children! I really don't think parents know how damaging it can be to a child's self-esteem when they treat their hard work as literal garbage. I know, I know... you "don't have enough space to store it all." I understand, but I decided to share a few simple ways parents can document their children's artwork before tossing it into the trashcan. I found these ideas on Pinterest... always a great resource!




1. Hang a curtain rod with clips for artwork. Hang for as long as you like, then discard it (if you must) after it has had its time to shine. You can see more on creating an organized art area for your kids here at Honeybee Vintage.



2. Scan all the artwork and then put it in a binder, or shrink the images and do something similar to this. This should give no one an excuse. It barely takes up any space, and you will enjoy it for years to come.


3. I don't have a photo of this one, ironically, but take photographs of the artwork and place them in a photo album. Simple, cheap, and you still have the hard work preserved in a special way.

4. Similar to number 3, photograph/scan the artwork and store it on your computer. Have your children pick out one or two favorites that they would like printed and framed to display in their room or another room in the house.

Hope these simple tips help you to think twice about documenting your child's artwork, rather than tossing it!

Mrs. E


No comments:

Post a Comment